Saturday, February 4, 2012

Awesome rice recipe! Must try!

Good afternoon readers! It's a rainy, dreary day here in NC. Camden & I went shopping at Wal-Mart with Mom & Dad this morning and it was crazy. Lots of people buying food for their Super Bowl parties. We, however, were in search of great buys on summer clothes for Camden. Mom had scoped out the clearance rack earlier in the week and they had a good selection of boy's short sleeve shirts and sets for $3 - $5! Camden racked up! I even got him two long sleeve shirts for $3 each. So check out your local W-M for good deals on clearance.

As you all know, we love Mexican food. We have chicken quesadillas once a week, if not more often. When we go out to eat at a Mexican restaurant, I always get rice as a side item (and guacamole too). I was in search of "real Mexican rice" since the boxed kind at the grocery store just wasn't the same. I found this great recipe at food.com and it is a keeper! The secret is to rinse your rice before cooking. Who knew!

The recipe is kind of involved but if I can cook it without burning the rice to a crisp, you can too. Tim (a.k.a. Mr. Picky Rice Eater) loved it and went back for seconds, maybe even thirds! For the sake of taking up blog space, here's
the link.
I cooked it in a Lodge cast iron Dutch oven and I used a 14.5 oz. can of diced tomatoes since fresh ones aren't in season.

Y'all have a great weekend and stay warm!
XOXO,
Melissa

No comments: