Sunday, February 27, 2011

Shamrock Shakes, Cats, and Quesadillas (Oh My!)

Greetings readers! Has it been six weeks since I posted last? Time flies when you are having fun or life is really busy. We are in the throes of Tax Season so the craziness is amped up around here. Here is what has been happening lately.

I tried a green Shamrock Shake from McDonald's for the first time on Friday. I heard it was lime flavored (BLECCH) then I heard it was mint flavored (YUMMY) so I had to try one for myself. The verdict: mint! I split it 3 ways between the kids and me. So good! They are here for a limited time and a portion of the sale of each Shamrock Shake goes to the Ronald McDonald House charities.

Our yard is being overrun by the neighborhood cats! Every time we look out the back door, it is like a different cat is hanging out back there. Anna has named them all. The two main ones are Lilly and Siamese Cat. Our neighbors cat Lilly (not her real name) is always around, she is a sweet cat. We put up new curtains in our kitchen and Lilly watched us from the outside.

Next is Lilly's buddy, Siamese Cat, who is not very friendly and camera shy but still pretty to look at. I always think of the two mean Siamese cats from Lady and the Tramp.



Other neighborhood cats are the Fake Lilly (who looks like Lilly but isn't), Inky the black cat, Skinny Cat from across the street, Garfield the orange cat also from across the street, the three tom cats from up the street, and the Snow Cat who only shows up when it snows! Good thing I don't feed these cats or I can imagine how many would be showing up in our yard then!

In keeping with tradition of this blog, here is a recipe. We eat chicken quesadillas at least once a week. I can cook a pile of these in no time and everyone loves them. I can get two small corn tortillas in my pan and make two at a time. This is a great way to use up leftover chicken. Photo courtesy of complete food world.com.

chicken, cooked and shredded (I use my mini food processor)
Mexican blend cheese
Large round flour tortillas
Smallish round corn tortillas
Onions and peppers for Tim
Guacamole for me
Salsa, sour cream for dipping

Oil a large non-stick pan and heat on stove. Place tortilla on hot pan and sprinkle half with chicken, let cook for about a minute or so. Sprinkle cheese on the chicken (add some finely chopped onion and pepper here if desired) and fold over the torilla. Carefully flip and cook the other side until the tortilla is slightly brown in spots. Serve with salsa, guacamole, sour cream.

Have a wonderful week!
XOXO,
Melissa

No comments: