Friday, March 26, 2010

Food Friday-Fried Pickles

Happy Friday! My students were the inspiration for this recipe. They love to talk about food, cooking, eating, anything to get me off the subject of literature, subject/verb agreement, predicate nominatives, etc. Typical teenagers! One of the guys asked if I had ever tried fried pickles and I had not. So I looked up a recipe and tried it out. The recipe came from a church cookbook, Loaves and Fishes and Other Dishes by the Covenant UMC Women in Gastonia, NC. Linda Raxter is the author.

1 egg, beaten
1 c. milk
1 tbl. all purpose flour
1 tbl. Worcestershire sauce
6 drops hot sauce

3 1/2 c. all purpose flour
3/4 tsp. each salt & pepper
1 qt. sliced dill pickles (I used a jar of Mt. Olive dill hamburger chips)

Combine first 5 ingredients, set aside. Combine 3 1/2 c. flour and the salt & pepper, stirring well. Dip pickles into milk mix.





Drop in flour mix.









Deep fry in hot oil (350 deg.) until brown-I used my Fry Daddy and did about 6 pickle slices at a time.





Drain on paper towel and enjoy!

My students recommended dipping in Ranch dressing, which wasn't half bad. Honestly, I might make these again, but I felt the batter was kind of tasteless, even with the hot sauce drops. It would be worth the time spent tweaking the recipe because these were fun to make and fried pickles are a delicacy around here. Some restaurants serve them as appetizers.

Have a wonderful weekend and Happy Palm Sunday!
~Melissa

No comments: