Friday, April 3, 2009

Food Friday - Forget 'Em Cookies

Happy weekend! The sun finally came out today and I decided to bake something. I have been wanting to try these cookies but it has been so rainy I knew they would have flopped (more on that later).

My husband's aunt made these for a family reunion and she graciously gave me the recipe. They are called Forget 'Em Cookies since you are supposed to turn off the oven once you put them in and let them sit for 8 hours. EIGHT HOURS?!?! When I want cookies, I want them NOW!! So I cheated, I turned the oven to 250 and let them slowly bake. Without further ado, here you go:

2 egg whites, at room temp.
Dash of salt
3/4 sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
6 oz. chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 250 and line a cookie sheet with foil. With a mixer, beat the egg whites until foamy, add a dash of salt. Add the sugar one tablespoon at a time until stiff peaks form (if it's damp and humid, the eggs won't get as stiff). Turn off mixer and gently fold in the vanilla, chocolate chips, and pecans. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto the baking sheet, making them more round than spread out (like a Hershey's Kiss shape as opposed to a Toll House Cookie). Bake in oven for say, 30 minutes or so, or until they are hard. Remove from oven and let cool completely (this was the hard part, I wanted to eat them RIGHT. THEN.) and carefully peel the foil away from the back.

Here's the difference between a "just right" cookie and a "too soon" cookie:


After the first 3 cookies had the bottoms ripped off, I waited 15-20 minutes then peeled off the foil. It worked much better and they looked better too.

Next time I'll do them more rounded than flat, but they were still good! Hubby gave them a thumbs up!

No comments: