Saturday, October 28, 2017

Caramel Brown Sugar Pound Cake



Hey Readers! Happy Saturday!

As promised, here is the recipe and recap of my latest adventures in baking, a caramel brown sugar pound cake.

A friend of ours made this and brought us a few pieces. It was SO GOOD and I asked her for the recipe. Thanks Jennifer! This cake was the bomb!

Caramel Brown Sugar Pound Cake
2 sticks margarine
1/2 c. vegetable shortening
1 (1 lb.) box light brown sugar
1 c. sugar
5 large eggs
3 c. plain flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 c. milk
1 tsp. vanilla
1 c. chopped pecans or walnuts
1 tsp. butternut flavoring (optional, this was hard to find so I skipped it)

Preheat over to 325. Cream margarine and shortening with sugar until light; add eggs one at a time. Sift dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, salt), add alternately to batter with milk, beginning and ending with dry ingredients. Add vanilla and nuts. Spoon into a greased and floured 10 inch tube pan (not Bundt/fluted pan, it won't hold all the batter). Bake at 325 for about 1 1/2 hours. Cool. Remove from pan and cover with caramel icing.

Icing
1 1/2 c. light brown sugar (I used a little less)
1/2 c. margarine
1 1/2 c. confectioners sugar (I used a little less)
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 c. milk

Combine brown sugar, margarine and salt in saucepan. Bring to a boil, add milk and boil slowly for 3 minutes. Remove from heat and cool. Add confectioners sugar and beat until thick enough to spread.

I made one batch of icing and it slid off the sides (what?) of the cake. So thanks to Google, I found out I had too much sugar in the icing. I patched the icing I had on the top of the cake then I made another batch, but I halved it and backed off a little on the sugars. It was perfect, the icing stayed on the sides this time.

We ate the cake and immediately went into a diabetic coma (just kidding, it is really sweet though). It was amazingly good. I took it to work and not a crumb was left.

I hope you all have a wonderful weekend! Next post: fall decorating.

Thanks for reading!
Melissa

No comments: