Monday, August 4, 2008

Recipe of the Week

Perfect Pita Chips

The Aldi grocery store had hummus and pita chips as a special purchase a few weeks ago. Once the "special purchase" items are sold out, the store doesn't get any more in unless the item becomes a regular item. Anyway, I bought six bags of the pita chips and they are now sold out. So I decided to make my own. It was so easy! Here's the recipe:

1 pkg. pita bread
2 tbl. olive oil
1 tbl. garlic powder
1 tsp. salt

PREHEAT oven to 350.

CUT pitas in half so they are now half circles and separate the layers.

BRUSH one side of the pitas with olive oil. Cut the bread into small triangles and place on baking sheet.

SPRINKLE the garlic powder and salt over the pieces. Bake in oven until lightly browned, 10-15 minutes.

WATCH carefully! They brown quickly!

You can also go crazy with the seasonings, maybe mix it up a little and sprinkle some Old Bay, Cavender's Greek Seasoning, or Tony Chachere's Cajun Seasoning over the pitas. I still would use the garlic powder though.

And if you've never tried hummus, it's awesome! My friend Hannah introduced me to hummus back when I still lived in Charlotte. It's made of chickpeas/garbanzo beans and sesame paste and other stuff. It's SO GOOD! Check the deli section of your grocery store for some.

No comments: